June, '00 | Briefing | Mail | Don't Say This | Articles | Other Places | Archives | Send Mail | Ed Dewke | Legal Stuff | Order | Search | PsorHeads

Eczema or Psoriasis?
from Diane M.

Hi Ed, I have had eczema since I was born. Recently, it has appeared on my feet. Two dermatologists have remarked that they are not sure it isn't P as opposed to dyshidrotic eczema. What kind of tests need to be done to determine what it is? Thanks -Diane M.


Ed’s Response: From the On-line Medical Dictionary (via The Skin Page I retrieved this definition:

eczema, dyshidrotic. A recurrent eczematous reaction characterized by the development of vesicular eruptions on the palms and soles, particularly along the sides and between the digits. It is accompanied by pruritus, a burning sensation, and hyperhidrosis. The disease is self-limiting, lasting only a few weeks.

I’m moving your email over to the "science of psoriasis" forum at PsorHeads. To get there, click on the icon here and enter forums. The community there will undoubtedly have more insight.

The thing that struck me about the definition I’ve copied above is the implication in the last sentence. If dyshidrotic eczema is "self-limiting, lasting only a few weeks," that would make it different (indeed!) from P. Let’s see what others have to say.

Thanks for writing. -Ed

This Month's Mail | Archives